Friday, 16 August 2013

AoE2 mod becomes official expansion

So new "official" expansion for AoE 2 HD is a port of excellent mod Forgotten Empires, now called "The Forgotten". No surprises we knew they were working together already. Full announcement here

I like that modders are getting a cut for their awesome work, but aoe2hd was already a bad cash grab port. half of the "features" of aoe2hd were already available for free in the FE mod, so they have just decided to try and charge us once again for content already available for free.

Infact if it wasn't for FE getting me back into aoe2, I highly doubt I would have bought aoe2hd. Or maybe I would have and less disapointed with it (lol).

Ive sunk a few hundred hours in aoe2hd multiplayer, phenomenal how such an ancient game is still imo way the best RTS out there. But I doubt I will be picking this up.

You can get the mod free here http://www.forgottenempires.net/


What do you think of free mods becoming paid DLC/content? I'm generally in support, I bought and enjoyed warband's Napoleonic Wars. And think most the best games out there are mods, therefore modders deserve some finicial recognition and breakthroughs. Tho I do understand why so many fans get uber pissed about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment